[Techtalk] Re: VGA out, avi weirdness

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Mon Aug 19 07:35:12 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 22:05, Akkana wrote:

> Probably a better way is to add 800x600 and 640x480 as optional
> resolutions in XF86Config-4, then use the magic "switch resolutions"
> key in X (I know there is one, but I always forget what it is)

[ctrl][alt][+] or [ctrl][alt][-]

I had spent months cursing XFree for not having an easy way to change
resolutions, then stumbled on that in an XFree mailing list archive.

And yes, to the original poster asking about which xconfig file to
modify, the XFree86-4.x.x versions use the file XF86Config-4.  It can a
little confusing because you might see several configuration files in
there.  Having just installed the nVidia drivers I'm quite intimate with
my XF86Config-4 again.  ;-)  And modules.conf.

regards,
Beth
Yay!  Tuxracer works now!
--