[Techtalk] Compiling pcmcia wireless LAN driver when RH 7.3 has kernel pcmcia driver?

david feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 13:58:40 EST 2002

Hello,

Thanks to Caity for introducing me to the list.

I have a rather old laptop installed with Redhat 7.3 linux; all
seems to be working well (including PCMCIA which is able to
access a compact flash memory module).

I am trying to install driver for a linksys wireless LAN card
(WPC-11); the drivers for same come from www.linux-wlan.org.

The situation is this - the driver set above needs to be
complied (no binaries were found), and for it to be compiled
it seems to require presence of the pcmcia-cs RPM as source
(I would guess in /usr/src.)

I proceeded to locate the pcmcia-cs source RPM
http://www.redhat.com/swr/src/kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-18.src.html

and discovered that when I would try to install it using the rpm
command, the rpm command didn't do anything (no error messages, just
quickly returned to command prompt.)

I tried rpm --checksig against the same file (above) and got an
error message

md5 (GPG) NOT OK (MISSING KEYS: GPG#DB42A60E)

I would presume from this that the file is damaged, however, I've
downloaded it several different ways and have pretty much ruled out
a communications problem.

I think there are two potential problems - (1) the driver I want may require
the non-kernel PCMCIA setup (RH 7.3 is where it seems they introduced the
kernel-based PCMCIA configuration), and/or (2) the RPM source is damaged so
I can't install it, and as this file comes directly from redhat, it appears
I am out of luck.

Anyway, I am pretty much at a point of frustration now, and after asking
Caity for help, she directed me to this resource.

Much thanks,

Dave
wb0gaz at hotmail.com