[Techtalk] Batch image resizing

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Fri Aug 16 14:47:26 EST 2002

If you have ImageMagik then there is a programme called mogrify thats part of it.

THe command you will use will look something like this:

mogrify -quality 50 -geometry '800x600>' -interlace Line ${name}.jpg

I copied this straight out of a script that I wrote, so if the last bit looks funny (the ${etc its cause its a variable.

Caveat - the convert programme writes over the original file, and there is no way to redirect the output to another file. So if I want to resize anything, I copy the original to another directory, do the convert and then check the results before deleting the original. Its never stuffed up yet, but I am not one to risk things.

How is your shell scripting? If you need help writing a script to mogrify all your images at once then let me know and I can give you a hand.

Hamster