[Techtalk] Batch image resizing

James jas at spamcop.net
Fri Aug 16 13:30:46 EST 2002

On 16 Aug 2002, Scott wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to a program that will batch resize images?
>
> I have several hundred of Philadelphia I took and want to publish them
> on the web, but they are 2048 and I want to take them down to 1024 and
> then make thumbnails from the 1024 images.
>
> I was using Fireworks, but no more XP :)

You can script this sort of thing very easily with Perl and ImageMagick
(www.imagemagick.org) - if you just want to scale them down by 2:1, it
should be a 4-line script to shrink *.jpeg (or whatever)...

I wrote a similar program a few months ago for a website I co-admin, to
generate thumbnail pages - I could post a copy if you're interested?

James.