[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

mia at miaridge.com mia at miaridge.com
Thu Aug 15 10:52:57 EST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Dave North wrote:

> > I test it every once in a while to see if it can optimise web graphics
> > as well as Photoshop
>
> ...but here's an issue I don't understand! Can you unpack what you mean
> by 'optimize?' I mean...

I mean 'reduce jpgs/gifs/pngs to the smallest possible file size while
retaining as much image quality as possible'.

When you consider that most web developers try to keep the total 'weight'
of a page below 50k, image optimisation becomes really important.
Ideally, pages should weigh in around 10k, but some designs require more
graphics.

I also find that the Gimp's text handling tools, filters and other tools
(auto levels, smudge, etc etc) aren't as configurable as Photoshop's and
don't yet produce results with the same quality.

The Gimp is great for some people, I just don't use it (yet) for web
graphics or photo touch-ups that have to look really slick.

cheers, Mia