[Techtalk] file transfer between Windows and Linux

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 15 00:33:42 EST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 illini.engineer at att.net wrote:

> I've found the HOWTO about using the serial ports and a
> null modem cable to transfer files between Windows and
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone found any other methods or programs that they
> know will work? I just want to copy an occasional files
> between Win 98 machine and my Linux laptop. I don't have
> NICs on either so anything using network is out.

A network is the most straightforward and versatile route, as well as
being very cheap - if there's a reason you can't use a network, your only
alternative to a serial link is a faster version of the same: either
parallel (LapLink-style - same idea as the serial cable, but faster) or
USB.

Is the hardware too old to support a NIC? (In which case, obviously USB is
out...) You could set something up using, say, an external Zip/Jaz/CDR(W)
drive, but that's a lot more expensive than a network - or remove the
laptop's HDD, and plug it into the desktop.

James.