[Techtalk] Mandrake problems solved

Scott scott at scottah.com
Tue Aug 13 14:12:27 EST 2002

After putting Suse 8.0 and Mandrake 8.2 on side by side machines I am
happy to report that the problems I was having with Mandrake have been
solved.  Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

I am going to keep Mandrake on the servers.

Details section.....

Mandrake does not compile by default.  True.  Fix it by doing (as root)
urpmi gcc
urpmi glibc-devel
urpmi gcc-c++
urpmi libstdc++-devel

Hourly Cron's Stopped running.  False.  They were sending an alert to
the root account about a configuration error in one of the cron files.
Changed log reporting and set up root to alias to me on my main email.

Slow response during FTP and POP3 connect.  True.  Solved by changing
order in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Thanks Caity!

I did try to record my radio show last night using mpegrec on Suse and
while it is nothing fancy it does take the audio input (a radio) and
encode it to 256k mp3 file that I later break into one hour chunks.  The
Mandrake boxes handle this with zero trouble.  With Suse the audio was
horrible and I was not able to use the file.

Thank you to everyone for your help and views.

-Scott