[Techtalk] Beyond personal -> large scale Linux usage

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 12 16:57:41 EST 2002

Hi, Scott,

> I did that.  The hosts are all in /etc/resolv.conf and still the long
> pauses.  I am installing Suse 8.0 right now and will test with that
> again.  Before when I tested with Suse there were no pauses, only
> Mandrake.

Check your entries in your /etc/nsswitch.conf files.  Make sure you're
not trying to query a non-existant NIS server before hitting your local
files, or DNS before your local files.  What you have in your
nsswitch.conf file, and the order its all in, can make a big difference
in how quickly things are resolved.

If I think of anything else I'll pass it along.

All the best,
Caity

"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so."
-Ford Prefect, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy