[Techtalk] Intro, and Question about Apache

Trent Di Renna ted7846 at oak.njit.edu
Mon Aug 12 14:11:11 EST 2002

Hi all...a friend of mine told me about this list a while back, and I've
been lurking for a while now...but now I actually have a question.  :)  So
here goes...

I'm attemtping to run Apache (v 2.0.36) on my Linux partition, not to
serve pages to others, but so I can just play around with dynamic stuff on
my own system (CGI, mod_perl, PHP, servlets, whatever).  I dled the
tarball, compiled and installed it, and ran the start script, and got
this:

(13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 127.0.0.1:80
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Now, the "make_sock" seems like a function call to me, that didn't quite
work.  I ran nmap on my system, but the only ports in use are 111 and
6000, according to it.  (Whether I'm using it correctly is another
matter...)  So apparently it can't utilize socket 80.  I'm fairly sure I
don't already have a wev server running, I even uninstalled an old copy of
Apache that came with my Mandrake distro.  It's possible that Mandrake
runs something during system startup that uses that port, but I really
don't know.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Trent Di Renna
ted7846 at oak.njit.edu