[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 17:46:50 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:40:06AM -0400 or thereabouts, Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 13:09, Dave North wrote:
> > Someone here kept bugging me to try ncftp like it was the greatest thing
> > since sliced bread, but I dragged my feet until just recently.

It might have been me. I was very fond of it, but have now switched
to lftp, which does the things I want just as well as ncftp and
doesn't hang if you try tab-completion and the remote host decides
not to respond.

> > 	ncftp -R /usr
> > ...from one machine to the other two nights ago; transferred the whole
> > tree, working, without a hitch.
>
> This comment was worth it's weight in GOLD!  Thank you.  I dragged my
> feet on trying it as well, but I am transferring my entire web directory
> from one machine to the new one and it is wonderful!  Since I could not
> keep gFTP going here is how I was doing it:
> 1)Use LeechFTP on Windows XP box, download from BSD machine to XP, then
> turn around and upload to new Linux box.
> 2)Redo the permissions, change ownership of files.
>
> I would also loose the date on the files as they all changed to the date
> I did the transfer.

You might also look at two other tools: wget and rsync.

I think both are installed by default on many distros. They're
certainly easily available.

I use rsync for updating my website, particularly when I want to
update pages I am merely making changes to. rsync just shifts
the changes over. Since I already have the old version of the
files there, it is faster for me to send the changes than to
send the whole file.

Telsa