[Techtalk] .signature-munging

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 11:45:33 EST 2002

(Removed volunteers: someone can put it back if they want)

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:58:32PM +1000 or thereabouts, Mary wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002, Claudine Chionh wrote:
> > I thought that, while some mail clients will remove the signature when
> > replying to a message, all clients will still display the signature
> > when you're reading a message, so the mailing list information is
> > still at the bottom (assuming people read all the way to the bottom of
> > the message).  Am I missing something else?
>
> I think on some mail clients it is possible to turn it off entirely.

I know there's something called 'sigbegone' for emacs:
          http://www.google.com/search?q=sigbegone

I suspect many people use procmail/formail to remove them, but I
am always wary that I shall meet email from someone who used "-- "
in their email without realising that people sometimes nuke it:
an example would be one of those forwards of a forward of a
forward where someone has not used > marks to indicate quoting.
(mutt, for example, does "Forwarded message from ---- someone"
and then doesn't put quote marks after it.)

> Since you can write a customer pager for some of them you could force
> this to happen anyway.
>
> I pipe my mails through a SED script to turn Mailman's
> anyway.

Can you share how you do this? I like playing with sed but I am
not very good at it.

Telsa