[Volunteers] Re: Footers (was Re: [Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ...")

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Mon Aug 12 16:25:52 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:13:00PM +1000, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 15:46, Terri Oda wrote:
> > > Volunteers: the request is for the footer that Mailman attaches to have
> > > the first line be "-- " (the standard sig delimiter) rather than the
> > > long series of "-" characters it is at the moment, so that mail clients
> > > that recognise signatures will filter it out or mark it in a different
> > > colour rather than displaying it as part of the message body.
> >
> > There's actually some reason mailman doesn't do this by default (and it's
> > not lack of knowing the convention), but I don't recall what it is.   I
> > don't suppose anyone else does?
>
> The one that comes immediately to mind is 'hey, let's make sure we
> inform the reader that this is a mailing list they subscribed to and can
> unsubscribe to, and not random spam'

But as soon as anybody posting to the list includes a signature, the
mailing list footer becomes part of the signature (since the poster's
'-- ' marker comes before the Mailman included stuff).

I must admit that I don't know what pine _does_ with the signature
stuff, so I'm not sure what the traps are for new players when using
"automatic signature handling" stuff.

Malcolm