[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Scott scott at scottah.com
Sun Aug 11 13:42:56 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 12:33, Dave North wrote:
> That's yet another issue (that's unclear to me) but you certainly know
> what you're doing. Be very interested to see how it goes.

I am curious from Dave and everyone else on the list about Suse.
Warning, this might get a little long......

I have IBM Netfinity servers, each with dual processors, a gig of ram
and 80 gig drive arrays.  These machines are replacing the BSDI machines
that need to be retired.

For the last month I have been playing with Red Hat 7.2, Suse 8.0 and
Mandrake 8.2.  Of the three the Suse worked the best and seemed solid as
a rock, Mandrake won on speed while Red Hat was ok.  My complaints about
the three that I am hoping someone can help shed some light on:

1)What is going to happen to Suse going forward considering their
involvement with United Linux?  Is this the last of the distro before
they start a per seat charge?

2)Has anyone fine tuned a Suse box?  I have several hundred sites to
host and seem to hit walls trying to add network interfaces without
using YaST2.

3)Stability?  Overall the Mandrake box has been mostly solid, but I do
notice odd things about it, services stop responding, hourly cron's
don't run, but no mention of it in the logs.

I tried to install the latest Debian release and it does not recognize
the Netfinity raid controller.  So I went with Mandrake for easily being
able to figure out where things were with regard to adding network
interfaces, virtual hosts, etc.  But after moving about 20 sites over I
am seeing things that I don't like.

Any thoughts?

Confused in Pennsylvania.

-Scott