[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Sun Aug 11 11:55:04 EST 2002

hi Suzi

> chasing after an inquiry of a friend who is interested in linux but
> can't find the multimedia stuff her uses.  his list of needs for total
> conversion:
>
> graphic design tools,

GIMP, Scribus, Sodipodi
Blender (3D)
Phorum, Zope, PHPNuke, PostNuke - web tools...

> image editors,

GIMP - its as good as or better than Photoshop... :)

> video editors,

there are a few being developed - a search on LinuxJournal would probably have
quite a few articles archived there, i remember reading a recent edition with
an article on Film GIMP which looks very promising indeed. i downloaded the
source via CVS but never got time to play with it....

> storyboarding software,

Gnome Think, GScriptWriter, Phorum

> dev tools like director,

this is sadly missing :( this is my own frustration too... i'm a Flash
developer....

> mp3 tools

LOADS of them :) see http://sound.condorow.net
also dont forget to check out Ogg Vorbis format, its much better quality than
mp3, is supported on Win/Mac/Linux platforms (Sonique for Windows supports
ogg and is a very nice player), and is nice and free of patents ;-)

> vid conversion tools

not sure....

as a multimedia artist myself, i use GNU/Linux because there are quite a few
things its apps can do that Windoze/Mac can't....
there's an excellent list of music software at
http://sound.condorow.net - a lot of this stuff has been developed by
academics or music professionals - studio producers etc. - and makes
GNU/Linux more than sufficient for a music composing platform. there's some
nice mp3 and wav based DJ-ing tools too...

hth

iriXx
www.iriXx.org

cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk