[Techtalk] Which Distro? (was Re: "I need to use Windows because ...")

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sat Aug 10 20:35:06 EST 2002

At 8/10/02 06:48 PM , Scott wrote:

>Another question......what distro are most of you using?  I have been a
>Mandrake fan, but 8.2 does not allow you to compile by default and I
>seem to be having some stability problems.

Just to get the answer out of the way:

I started with Red Hat, installed a Mandrake machine somewhere along the
way that is still running, but have now converted my main system to
Slackware and am *much* happier. (So that Mandrake box will turn into a
Slack box when I feel like dealing with that.)

What do you mean, "does not allow you to compile by default"? Do you just
mean that it doesn't install gcc/make/etc. unless you specifically ask it to?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"But every night I burn,/Every night I call your name.
  Every night I burn,/Every night I fall again..."
                                                 --The Cure,
                                                  "Burn"