[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sun Aug 11 11:19:26 EST 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 07:32:24PM -0700, Akkana wrote:
> I'll start.  I have a friend who runs linux on his server, but he
> uses windows on the desktop because he edits a club newsletter and
> needs desktop publishing software.  I found Scribus, which shows
> promise, but it's still fairly rough, not something I can recommend
> my friend use for his practical needs.  Is there a better answer?

I believe all the answers for Linux that I know of are still fairly
rough.  We've got the Word-Processors like AbiWord, Koffice,
OpenOffice.org (complaints about which have already been raised in this
thread).  I use LyX (a LaTeX front-end) but I had to mangle and stomp on
it fairly hard to use it for my fanzine, since it is really more
oriented towards academic publishing.
(see <http://www.katspace.com/lyx> for my war story and hints)

I've heard that TexEmacs is supposed to be a good LaTeX front-end, but
I've never used it, so I can't comment.
How good is Scribus?  What can it do?

Kathryn Andersen
"It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time I try to
operate one of these weird black controls, labelled in black on a
black background, a little black light lights up black to let me know
I've done it. What is this, some kind of galactic hyper-hearse?"
		-- Zaphod Beeblebrox (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)