[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 10 17:27:44 EST 2002

Hello All,

	Could be you-all know this, but the United States Postal
Service uses linux and a proprietary program to read all its mail
address, had written and typed, to route the mail. Now that must be
some OCR program!
	I took on faith an article telling me "twain" scanning from
HP, Epson and some other makes was available for Linux. I have no
idea when I read that.

		Andrew

>Now - to find scanner software.  OCR would be a nice plus, but not a
>need - it never worked well enough for me to depend on it in
>Winblows anyhow.  And I won't hold my breath on turbo tax...  once a
>year opening the win partition I can deal with.

>!!!  Please teach me how to suid a binary!  It would make me so
>happy if it all worked fine...
>
>On other wants, a little playing today and I have gphoto2 up and
>running thru gimp and gtkam.  :)  yay!  Found out they were on the
>RH7.3 CD, but just hadn't been installed when I upgraded, so
>installing them was trivial.  I also downloaded and tried abiword
>and (although the instal wient smoothly, I must be getting the hang
>of this, installs are going smoothly?) was again gravely
>disappointed.  Bar tabs != tables...
>
>Now - to find scanner software.  OCR would be a nice plus, but not a
>need - it never worked well enough for me to depend on it in
>Winblows anyhow.  And I won't hold my breath on turbo tax...  once a
>year opening the win partition I can deal with.
>			-Suzi
>
>/dev/null wrote:
>>On Saturday 10 August 2002 19:09, Suzi Anvin wrote:
>>
>>>I did the multiuser install bit as root, no
>>>problems.  When I went to do the user install, it said it was unable to
>>>creat folders.  (yes, I've bug reported) *sigh*
>>

>>oh yeah, i remember this too... i was running it as root for ages
>>until i realised that you need to suid the binary, then it all
>>works fine :-)
>>
>>hth

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew