[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Glenda R. Snodgrass grs at theneteffect.com
Sat Aug 10 12:11:01 EST 2002

> We used to use Adobe Frame Maker on AIX and Solaris.   Might be
> a chance it's
> ported to Linux.   Problem is it's not free, and I doubt it's cheap.  It
> would probably  work good in a business etting.

It was ported to Linux as a beta product in 1999 I believe, with a
one-year license, but it was never brought to market and when the clock
turned at the end of one year, it quit working.

I never understood why they didn't release it, because the beta was really
rock-solid.  I mean, all the work was done!  I used it for a year to do a
club newsletter, fairly complex layout (~25 pp with a couple dozen ads and
multiple frames/fonts/formatting, etc.) and never had any problems with
it.  I assumed at the time they didn't release it because they couldn't
sell it for the price they wanted, but shoot, with all the work done, why
not sell it at any price and get some income rather than none?  Of course
the Linux-on-the-desktop market is much bigger now than it was then too,
so maybe they're sitting on it and might release it later?

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(251) 433-0196