[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Scott scott at scottah.com
Sat Aug 10 10:54:37 EST 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Megan Golding wrote:
> 2) NOT SOLVED: Windows fonts. I do a fair amount of Web work that
> involves making images. Unfortunately, I still have to return to
> Windows when my art director(s) say they want something in Impact
> (insert any Windows True Type font here). Grrr...

Megan-

I just discovered this in Mandrake 8.2, you can import your Windows fonts,
a site I was designing for a client used verdana and using the Mandrake
Control Center I was able to connect to my Windows machine and import the
fonts into Mandrake and then use them in Gimp.

Of course, I am still fighting with myself about using Windows.  Home
Site, Photoshop and a multi-thread FTP client is what I have been using.
I have a Sony Vaio that I really want to convert to Mandrake, but am not
sure about the video yet and since I can drive the thing at 1600 X 1200 on
Windows I really want to figure out how to duplicate that in Mandrake.

-Scott