[Techtalk] connecting a dumb terminal

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Thu Aug 8 18:29:25 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 09:49:44PM -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> Another thing you might try is disabling the getty there, and running
> minicom or screen on it.  Then you can type at it and see what, if anything
> appears on the terminal, and vice versa.

Okay, I tried minicom, and things seem to go swimmingly there, with
a default configuration including /dev/ttyS1, 9600 baud, and 8-N-1.
So I went back to my /etc/inittab.  I felt pretty sure that the -h,
9600, and ttyS1 were correct, so I tried eliminating the -L option
to agetty (it forces the line to be a local line with no need for
carrier detect).  And bam -- it worked!  Yea!  Thanks!

The only thing that's less than perfect about it is that the
terminal screen is printing some characters around text that would
normally (on my PC's Gnome terminals) appear in color.  But I assume
I'll be able to figure out how to fix that.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/