3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Aug 9 07:37:36 EST 2002

Andrew,

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:48:42AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> 	I may be in deep this time, can't imaging what will happen on
> next reboot.
>   To answer Malcolm suggestion of sending more info, I need to know is
> there a simple way to copy text in the gunome terminal window, to a
> text file,(anything text will do, gedit etc.).

Highlighting the relevant text with a mouse and then just
middle-clicking in the editor window is my usual way.

Alternatively, run 'make dep >/tmp/output 2>&1' and you will have all
the output in /tmp/output and can then edit it as appropriate. Or look
at the 'tee' command (basically, you run make, send stderr to stdout
(2>&1) and pipe the results to tee which sends the output simultaneously
to stdout and a file).

There are probably six other ways to do this as well, but that's beside
the point for this thread. :-)

> 	2:14 AM-8/8/02
> 	In order to do something today I went ahead and cleaned out
> all files in /usr/src. Then unpacked a new 2.4.19.  Surprisingly I
> still get "file not found" error on "make dep" after make menuconfig.
> The original kernel is 2.4.3 Mandrake 8.0.
>
> 	Info:
>
> 	from scriptd/mkdep.c:35
> /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h36:26: linux/limits.h: Npsuch file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1

Aah .. I think I understand what's going on now (a little bit of
guessing here, but maybe you can customise it to fit):

As the error message says, the problem is when one of the scripts wants
to include /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h, which, in turn, wants to
include /usr/include/linux/limits.h -- and the latter file does not
exist.

Is there anything under /usr/include/linux?

I realise you use Mandrake, but for a Red Hat system, I would say to
install the kernel-headers package for the kernel you are currently
running (the working, stable version you had before this experiment
started). I don't know if Mandrake has a similar package split, whereby
you can get the appropriate header files without needing all of the
source files. Something must be possible using their packages, since so
much will go terribly wrong if /usr/include/linux is missing. That will
give you a proper /usr/include/linux directory. Subsequently, running
make dep again should probably work.

If you think you already have the correct packages installed, or if
/usr/include/linux/ looks pretty full, but is missing limits.h, then you
need to poke around a bit more and try to work out where it went. Try to
find somebody else (on this list?) with a Mandrake 8.0 install and see
what 'rpm -qf /usr/include/linux/limits.h' returns and (re)install that
package.

If this completely fails to solve your problem, let us know and maybe
somebody will have a brain wave.

Cheers,
Malcolm