[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 10:23:34 EST 2002

--- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 07:36:39PM -0700, Poppy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 14:47, Megan Golding wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Try blog software for maintaining the pages. That's how my
> > > site, http://www.kalamitykat.com, works. The main body content
> > > consists of several blog entries. I combined the blog with a
> > > simple page layout using server side includes and -- voila!
> > > -- a consistent site look.
>
> > I've heard this "use blog" tossed about a bit, can someone
> > elaborate? Last I heard, blog was short for weblog, and I can't
> > think how keeping
> > an online diary would help with webdesign...
>
> I think the idea is that, for someone who doesn't want to have to
> code HTML, and only wants to worry about the content, then using
> weblog software, which is designed for someone to just type in
> their content, with the software taking care of everything else,
> that might be the way to go.  Presumably one would be talking
> about blog software which makes it fairly easy to customize
> the look-and-feel of the page.

Kathryn is right on the mark here. The way I'm proposing using blog
software is certainly not the intended use. Instead of a diary,
you'll use it as a very simple web content management system.
Greymatter, my blog software, lets me update content pretty easily.
When the page content is text with a few links thrown in for good
measure, the blog is far easier than hand-editing the content. Plus,
the web interface makes it easy to make changes, on the fly.

> Kathryn Andersen
> (recently joined chick who finds discussion irresistable)

Hehe. That's totally encouraged here!

Meg

=====
Megan Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com