[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 7 19:12:58 EST 2002

Hi, Malke, and everyone else,

All of the programs suggested (Bluefish, SCREEM, CoffeeCup, Quanta Plus)
are more or less like HomeSite in the Windows world, not at all like
Publisher.  The good news is that all have icons you can click on and
they supply the tags.  You then fill in what goes between the tags.
They are also really good for hand-coding HTML (and CSS, and
JavaScript).  They do things like show what's within tags in a different
color, so you can see if you've got the syntax right a lot easier.  They
are by no means drag and drop, and you'll have to learn at least some
HTML to use any of them.

My personal favorite is Bluefish.  It's very lightweight and GTK based,
not relying on Gnome or KDE libraries, which means I can use it
effectively on my tiny but limited Toshiba Libretto 50CT.  It's fast in
any environment and not lacking in features at all.  SCREEM is
Gnome-based, while Quanta Plus is KDE-based.   If you're running KDE
anyway, Quanta Plus is *very* nice.

If you really want to create a website in a word processor or publishing
program and don't care if the resulting code is messy (which is exactly
what you did in Publisher), you really want to look at Open Office or
Star Office.

All the best,
Caity