[Techtalk] ISA PNP modem help

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 12:42:27 EST 2002

Hi, everyone,

I am configuring a couple of Linux (formerly Windows) boxen for a
friend.  I always use an external modem on my desktop and a PCMCIA modem
in my laptops, so I've never run into a problem with a modem before.
Now I have.

System #1 has an IBM ISA PNP modem.  If I cat /proc/isapnp I see that it
has been assigned IRQ 9.  It is listed as "inactive".  It doesn't
respond on /dev/ttys0 - /dev/ttys2

System #2 has a US Robotics ISA PNP modem.  /proc/isapnp shows it as
"active" with an IRQ of 5.  It also is non-responsive on any standard
serial port.

I do know about setserial, but I have to somehow know which serial port
they are assigned to in order to use that, or worse, I need to know how
to assign them to a given port and memory address range.  My Google
searches haven't helped.  The ISA PNP how-to I read is very informative
for the 2.2 kernel.

Both boxes are running Red Hat Linux 7.3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,
Caity