[Techtalk] thanks for all the help!

John White John.White at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 5 11:06:52 EST 2002

Hi,

I recommend resetting your cable modem to force a change of your "semi static dhcp" address. Please accept my apology if you already know how to do this and don't need the following:

Shut down (power off) all DHCP-using machines on your LAN. Power off the switch/hub that has the cable modem as a WAN link. Power off the cable modem, and leave it off for several minutes to ensure that the capacitor powering its memory has fully discharged. Power everything back up in reverse order (cable modem > switch/hub > PCs). You should be able to verify that a forced DHCP release/renew has occurred.

Good luck!

John