[Techtalk] thanks for all the help!

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Fri Aug 2 11:53:24 EST 2002

Caity:
> Every extra service you run ...

Good point. Plus, all the other comments about 'seemingly slow startup'
are on the beam too. But ... I run mandrake, redhat and debian
semi-regularly, and the big startup hit for me is kudzu. Nice feature and
all that, but both redhat and mandrake dwell there for quite a while.
	(Sam: that's the "test for new hardware" phase of booting).
	My lean&mean Deb starts quicker than Windows (I think).

> I agree with this, but I would start with Mandrake 8.2 (says the woman
> running Red Hat :).

Let me drop in a small apostacy here and say I think RedHat 7.3 is
far easier and cleaner than Mandrake 8.2 (the AOL of linuces :).
	And though I very much prefer Debian, I cheerfully admit it is not
the best place to start. Nor is gentoo, fans.
	SuSE 7.3 had a lot going for it too.