[Techtalk] failing to build install floppy

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Apr 30 21:43:06 EST 2002

Trying to add a module to the radhat bootnet.img boot floppy.
I  did the following...

mkdir /mnt/img
mkdir /mnt/img/bootnet
mkdir /mnt/img/initrd
cd /mnt/img
mount -o loop bootnet.img /mnt/img/bootnet
gunzip -c bootnet/initrd.img > initrd.img
mount -o loop initrd.img initrd
gunzip -c initrd/modules/modules.cgz | cpio -i

and I get a directory 2.4.7-10BOOT containing a bunch of modules.  I add
the desired module to that directory, removing another one to make space,
modify initrd/modules/module-info to include the new driver and rebuild
the image using

find 2.4.7-10BOOT | grep .o | cpio -o | gzip -9 > initrd/modules/modules.cgz
umount initrd
gzip -c -9 initrd.img > bootnet/initrd.img
umount bootnet

I dd that to floppy and reboot but I get messages like

going to insmod eexpress.o (path is NULL)
error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic

for your info. initrd/modules/modules.cgz is a compressed cpio archive
containing all the modules required for the boot floppy.  Any thoughts on
what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)