[Techtalk] A few questions

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Mon Apr 29 16:02:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             29/04/02 16.02

Just some things that I would like to recommend :

one linux server should not be doing all the jobs you specified. This load
should be spread over several servers.

I would tackle this one phase at a time.

Get the firewall setup - refer to the Securing and Optimizing Linux Red Hat
Edition that I mentioned earlier.

Central Storage - do you mean file and print or backup? If file and print
get hold of a Samba HOWTO. If backup - not sure about this try a search in
Google.

Mail server - warning Sendmail is complex (I sat next to a Sendmail admin
for a while and learnt lots of new words!!) Postfix, Qmail are all options.
Remember that Sendmail has both commercial and non-commercial licenses; its
also the most widely used mail server on the net.

Local Webserver - just saw a HOWTO at tldp.org on Intranet servers so this
is probably a good place to start.

Virus scanner - no idea sorry.

Don't know what W2K MMC commands are either but NATting aka masquerading in
the Linux world can be done on the firewall. A proxy could also be installed
if need be.

On my first ever Unix course the first thing the teacher said was that
anything can be done with Unix/Linux, it's just finding a good, secure,
easily remembered method thats hard.

See what you think of these guys for CAD

http://www.linuxcad.com/

But now for something completely different :

Why use the W2K workstations at all? If everything is going to be on linux
then you could make the 40 machines X clients. Take the time to read this
link, tell your boss how much money could be saved, ask for a bonus, then
let us know how you got on.

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/0823.xterminal.html

Regards,

Matt (who is in a talkative mood today)