[Techtalk] A few questions

kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net
Mon Apr 29 19:16:29 EST 2002

Hello everyone:

I have got a few questions, I hope you'd help me.

We are considering putting up a centrals server of all Windows machines.
The architecture is like this:
We have 40 machines in a LAN and we want to use W2K (NTFS) in every
workstation and Linux (RedHat) in the server.  We actually want a mail
server, a secure internet browsing (Open-SSL), one local webserver, a
central firewall rule-set applicable to all the W2k machines, a central
virus scanner, a central storage capability,  a capability to administer
basic W2k MMC commands from the central server and NATting. Remember the
word NTFS!!! Can this administering be done, is this possible?

I am also looking for a Linux version of AutoCAD. That is, our AutoCAD is
currently loaded in the WinServer and being shared among pc's as per
license agreement.

Our Engineers will also be working on bigger project chunks simultaneously.
That is, they will divide the project in different parts and work in their
individual parts and later on merge the whole thing. So, I'd also like to
know if this is possible.

Mainly we are considering Linux over Windows for cost minimization,
security, robustness above anything else. Sorry I'm kind of green in Linux
till now. Actually stuck in a world of setting up Windows Workgroups :-)
Can you guys suggest me something to dip my nose into?

Much regards,
Kenn.