[Techtalk] Reading Email headers

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Sun Apr 21 00:02:18 EST 2002

<snipped>

> 66.24.19.151 --> hongkong.com --> mail.itmon.com --> hilcos01.hilconet.com
>
> Running 'dig -x 66.24.19.151', we see that it resolves to
> syr-66-24-19-151.twcny.rr.com. A bit of playing around with the 'whois'
> command reveals that rr.com is registered by Road Runner, so it's
> probably a cable modem connection. My poor grasp of US geography lets me
> down here (no atlas handy and I can't find what I need on the web), but
> the 'twcny' part of the domain name suggests somewhere in New York
> state, but that makes the timezone wrong (doesn't it? Are different
> parts of NY in different timezones? *shrug*).

This IP is from a Time Warner Cable Road Runner customer outside of
Syracuse, New York.  The syr is the syracuse part.  A traceroute to that
IP will route through Rochester and into the syr IPs.  Amazingly enough,
www.twcny.rr.com is a local news portal site for syracuse.

abuse at twcny.rr.com will probably be your best bet for a complaint.

You should probably forward the whole message, with the headers, to that
address, pointing out the originator.

HTH

--mandi