[Techtalk] X and resolution changes

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Sat Apr 20 17:22:25 EST 2002

Hi,

While using Ctrl-Alt-+ and ctrl-alt-- to change the resolution being used by X, the resolution itsself changes, but the window size doesnt.

By that I mean, if I start X with a resolution of 1600x1200, and I then change the resolution to 1280x1024 by using ctrl-alt-+, I get the bigger text and icons with the larger resolution,  but now my desktop doesnt fit into my monitor. I have to scroll up and down and left and right to see everything.

What do I need to do to get it to change the resolution and resize the desktop to fit on the monitor?

If the working of my question isnt terribly clear, please let me know and I will try to rephrase it.

Thanks

Hamster