[Techtalk] dialup speed...

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Apr 20 09:38:38 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 09:24:58AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Walt thought:
> After I've dialed up to the internet, how
> can I check the connection speed?

I used to know a command to use in the modem initialisation string which
would get it to report the line speed back once connected.  It could be
"W2" (at least for my modem whose type I've completely forgotten!).  Once
that's done, you should get a "connected at xxxxx" in /var/log/messages .
I've just had a quick scan through my own /var/log/messages and the above
line doesn't appear at all!  I suspect though that's something to do with
the dialup script I'm using...

In any case, running minicom and doing a dialup to your ISP should give
you the line speed report which you can use to add an expect line to your
connection script.

Conor (feeling very garbled this morning...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)