[Techtalk] Rolling back to revision n-1 from CVS

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 12:00:49 EST 2002

I'm working with CVS and found a solution to my
problem but am curious as to what the One Right
Solution (TM) is. Here's my issue:

1. 2 weeks ago, someone checked in version 1.1 of a
file (its a GIF and is checked in as a binary, if it
matters).

2. 1 week ago, someone else checked in version 1.2 of
this file. 1.2 was somehow corrupted.

I want to "roll back" to 1.1. By roll back, I mean I'd
like to make version 1.1 the new "current" version. I
don't care to keep a history of the corrupted version
around. In other words, I'd be thrilled if version 1.2
never even happened.

My solution?

1. cvs-export a version from before 1.2 was checked
in.

2. Copy the uncorrupted (version 1.1) files into my
working directory.

3. cvs-committed.

Now, I have version 1.3, which is identical to version
1.1. Sure, it works. But, I'm certain there must be a
better solution.

Sign me Just Curious,
Meg