[Techtalk] Lycoris/Redmond Linux Anyone?

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Wed Apr 17 10:21:44 EST 2002

I have it in a 233 MHz Pentium box, 4.3 GB HD and 64 Meg of PC-100 RAM and
it "feels" slow.  I am set up within Lycoris's recommended parms, but
it still feels s-l-o-w.

Has anyone else run  this distro?  If so, what do you think about it?  It
installed very easily with the only bobble being my ancient serial mouse.
(The installer found it on the 3rd try...)

I got a copy of the Amethyst release from the most recent edition of Linux
Format magazine.  It's actually not a bad read (for an itermediate user),
plus they add a CD or DVD filled with Linux/Unix software, (programs,
drivers, modules & kernels) and the price isn't bad.  They include a distro
every issue and well to end this tangent, it was Redmond.

I tried to install it on my new Duron.  1G/8G HD/256MB DDR Ram.  It seemed
generically fine.  As they claim, the desktop looked very Windows-y.  I
didn't get networking & sound to go at all.  The sound card was a CS4281 and
should have been picked up easily.  There is no GNOME desktop, but that is
not a big deal since I stopped using it recently.  From what I understand,
it is based on Corel's Linux, which was based on Debian so I am sure some of
the funky things that Debian does, this distro does.

I am also sure that if I put some effort into the configuration files, I
could fix my two problems with this Distro, but I am too much of a Slackware
user to give up on Patrick et al.  I am not sure that I have offered you
anything of value with my review.  I would recommend this distribution to a
new Linux user, and I am surprised that a 233 is sluggish, as I had my
roomate's 200mHz PC running Mandrake 8.1 with 160MB of ram.  Redmond/Lycoris
seemed even friendlier (& possibly less of a resource hog) than Mandrake.
The solitaire is fun, reminiscent of the Caldera's Tetris that I got with
the "Teach Yourself Linux in 24 hours" book.  That book is at least 3 years
old now.

On a scale of one to five, I give this one a 3.75.

Jennifer