[Techtalk] devfs issues (I think)

Malcolm-Rannirl rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Tue Apr 9 18:10:18 EST 2002

I'm having a very odd problem with my development system (heavily cut down
linux distribution, 2.4.17 kernel). The system installs fine, but the first
boot after install fails (see boot log excerpt below) resulting in X not
working (because of non-existant /dev/mouse). However the second boot (and
all boots thereafter) works fine (no config files are touched, just hit
ctrl-alt-delete when it gets to the login prompt). On the surface it looks
like a file system permissions problem, but the system is not changed between
boots.

This has me rather confused.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or have any clue what I might be
doing wrong.

first boot:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only
Freeing unused kernel memory
INIT: version 2.78 booting
Bringing up the loopback interface
Setting up hostname
Initialising DevFS... can't create lock file /etc/mtab~15: Read-only file
system (use -n flag to override) [FAILED]
Initialising DefFSd...Error opening file: ".devfsd" No such file or directory
[FAILED]
ln: cannot create symbolic link '/dev/mouse' to '/dev/psaux': Read only file
system
Activating swap...Adding Swap: xxxk swap-space (priority -1) [OK]

second boot:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only
Freeing unused kernel memory
INIT: version 2.78 booting
Bringing up the loopback interface
Setting up hostname
Initialising DevFS... [OK]
Initialising DefFSd...Started device management daemon for /dev [OK]

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/mouse
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/mouse
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/mouse
Activating swap...Adding Swap: xxxk swap-space (priority -1) [OK]

relevant section of init script:

# Begin /etc/init.d/checkfs
# load devfsd to get old dev mappings
echo -n "Initialising DevFS..."
mount -t devfs devfs /dev
evaluate_retval

echo -n "Initialising DevFSd..."
/sbin/devfsd /dev -n
evaluate_retval
ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

echo -n "Activating swap..."
/sbin/swapon -a
evaluate_retval

--
"Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave."
- Jareth

<<  This email is monitored by the US government under the auspice  >>
<< of the USA act. For private communication, ask me for my PGP key >>
<< ----- PGP: envelopes for email - www.pgp.com www.gnupg.org ----- >>