[Techtalk] Is it the server???

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Tue Apr 9 14:24:10 EST 2002

At 01:57 PM 4/9/2002, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
>         Okay -- and 192.168.1.1 is the address of an interface on your
>router?  Which interface?  The one that mailserver 2 connects to, or the
>one that mailserver/webserver 1 connects to?  (Or do the two boxes
>connect to a switch, and then the switch connects to one Ethernet port
>on the router?)

The gateway - the LAN side. Everything connects to it.

>         The reason that I'm so interested in the topology is that if
>your mailserver is throwing errors that it can't reach your router, that
>should be something that's easy to correct.  We just need to know
>exactly what connects to exactly what, and where.
>
>         Could you do a
>
>route
>
>on the mailservers, and verify that there is a route for the subnet that
>192.168.1.1 is on in the routing table on your box?

Here are the routes:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

and

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

> > The way the network is set up at this moment, it has a private IP, with
> the
> > 192.168.1.1 as the gateway/firewall/router.
>
>         Which interface on the router?  Or does the router only have one
>internal interface?

Only has one.

>         Another reason this might be: if your internal network is 100
>Mb, and your fractional T1 is 768 K, you're able to push a lot more
>traffic to that frac-T1 than it can handle.  Same problem as the T3 ->
>T1 issue, just one step earlier along the path.  Any time you try to go
>from a network with higher bandwidth across a network with lower
>bandwidth you run the risk of packet loss if you try to flood the link.
>Most LANs have far greater bandwidth than their WAN links.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

>         Oh!  Okay, you're doing NAT.  That makes more sense.  I thought
>you had the boxes configured with routable IPs, inside your private
>network.  If everything inside your private network has a private space
>IP, suddenly all becomes clear.  And NAT just happens statically at the
>router, and those two boxes always get translated to the same two
>external IPs, right?

Exactly.

> > Here's a set of tcpdumps for successful SMTP packets:
> >
> > 16:33:08.174659 nanuuq.ursa-minor.com.1221 >
> > xx5.mail.simpleservers.com.smtp: . ack 1 win 16060 <nop,nop,timestamp
> > 1650370 488638534> (DF)
> > 16:33:08.653713 xx5.mail.simpleservers.com.smtp >
> > nanuuq.ursa-minor.com.1221: P 1:94(93) ack 1 win 32120 <nop,nop,timestamp
> > 488638568 1650370> (DF)
>
>         Did you get any SYN packets or any other sorts immediately
>before this?  This is the first acknowledgement packet (ack 1) after the
>connection's been set up.  I'm interested to see if there's anything
>else going on at the same time (DNS, ICMP, ARP even) that could be
>causing our complication.  Usually that sort of thing happens near the
>beginning of a session.

OK - I'll look more at that.

>  But the rest of this session looks normal.  Is
>this one of the domains that you're often having trouble with?  Also if
>possible, could you provide more of the tcpdump before an unsuccessful
>session?  I am looking to see where the packets are coming from, and if
>there are any unsuccessful queries, etc. before the servfail error.

It doesn't happen so frequently - so it's a challenge to find it - but I'll
do some more looking, and send more tcpdumps back.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net
AIM/Yahoo Messenger:pearlbear0