[Techtalk] network tools

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Apr 6 14:58:50 EST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 11:41:53AM -0500, coldfire wrote:
> > I'm interested in finding out what network tools other people are using
> > on their systems for several tasks:
> >
> > 1. Packet sniffing. I know tcpdump is very popular, but from what I can
> > tell, it only looks at packet headers. What utilities are there to
> > actually capture and look at entire packets?
>
> i'm a big fan of ethereal .. especially since it now supports 802.11b
> frames really well :)  it's a nice graphical interface and will tell the
> less TCP/IP knowledgable users exactly which flags were set, what they
> mean, etc.

I tried it out, and it's very nice. However, I need to monitor
pan.lupercalia.net from syrinx.lupercalia.net. Over the public
network. Is this possible, with any tool? Etherape doesn't do it
(another nice gooey tool that shows you active connections on your
machine). I don't want to watch raw packets, I want to monitor overall
health and status in real time. A console app would be fine; I could
keep it open in the corner of my monitor.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                             http://www.linuxdoc.org

Even as a longtime critic of the company, I must admit that Microsoft
occasionally flirts with the truth. Well, perhaps 'flirt' is too strong a
word. Let's just say Microsoft sometimes honks and waves as it drives by
her house.
	--InfoWorld Editor Nicholas Petreley, 06-14-99