[Techtalk] ssh problems

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Apr 4 12:58:15 EST 2002

Raven, corporate courtesan writes:
> 	Are you using rxvt on the Solaris side?  According to the FAQ at
> http://www.kleber.net/ssh/ssh-faq-7.html:

Good faq!  I was hoping maybe it would solve a weird problem I've
been having, but I din't see it mentioned.

I use ssh to communicate from my machine at work (ssh client, I"ll call
it W) to our server at home (call it H).  Both ends are behind
firewalls.  I can connect and log in, and text comes through from H
to W just fine (I can cat files, read my mail, etc.), and short
commands (shell commands, single-char mutt commands, etc.) that
I type on W get through to H.  But if I try to type more than a few
lines all at once (for example, reply to a mail message), I get huge
delays -- the characters stop echoing, and then I won't see any
response for five or ten minutes -- or, sometimes, ever (I've left
the window open for half an hour and never seen the characters echo).

Telnet connections don't exhibit this problem, or at least, not nearly
as severely; but we don't want to open the telnet port, and I'd really
like to find a way to use ssh.

The firewall on the work end (over which I have no control) is somewhat
strange in other ways -- for instance, it doesn't seem to allow reverse
DNS queries (so things like connecting to IRC take forever) but that
wouldn't affect a connection that was already established, would it?

W is running Redhat 7.1, openssh-clients-2.1.1; H is running SuSE 7.3
and has openssh-2.9.9.  (Hmm, might upgrading W help?)

	...Akkana