[Techtalk] Null connections with sendmail?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Apr 4 12:05:57 EST 2002

At 08:13 PM 4/3/2002, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
> > What I'm doing now is taking a big tcpdump run, and then I'll try to
> > correlate the tcpdumps with my mail log file, and see if there is a
> pattern.

OK - so the saga continues...

This is SO strange.

I'm still getting a lot of "unreachable" errors in the tcpdumps, and there
is no question that the null connections match with the unreachable errors.
Mail is still getting delayed.

I have a bit more information:

Outgoing smtp seems to work fine. I picked a few of the hosts that I'm
having trouble with (that have unreachable errors), and regular pings show
very little (if any) packet loss, whereas ping flooding shows serious
packet loss (like 25%). I thought at first it might be the ethernet cable
between the server and the router, but it's not - I swapped several out.
When I try to send out large packets from the router, they all get dropped.

Suggestions? I have a trouble ticket in with my ISP, but they seem a bit
clueless.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net