[Techtalk] Null connections with sendmail?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Wed Apr 3 15:03:35 EST 2002

At 05:18 PM 4/1/2002, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
>         So first, check out the connectivity on your new network.  It's
>possible that these connections are being dropped between the time when
>they were opened and the time when they were (supposed to) send mail to
>you.  Tcpdump it if you have to -- you should see the drops and the
>retransmissions.

I did a tcpdump dst host (myhostname):

How do you see drops and re-transmissions?  I've seen entries like:

  ns6.choiceone.net.domain > nanuuq.ursa-minor.com.4851: 5683 ServFail
0/0/0 (46) (DF)
192.168.1.1 > nanuuq.ursa-minor.com: icmp: net
w058.z065105051.bwi-md.dsl.cnc.net unreachable

What do these mean?

What I'm doing now is taking a big tcpdump run, and then I'll try to
correlate the tcpdumps with my mail log file, and see if there is a pattern.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net
AIM/Yahoo Messenger:pearlbear0