[Techtalk] New to the list...new to linux

Jesika tx-kewtie at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 30 06:24:48 EST 2001

> Then the challenge: how should materials be presented? What's wrong with
> today's presentation? Is it too complicated, even when explaining the
> most simple things, is the progression to big, isn't there any
> progression at all? Where do you look for files, are you afraid of doing
> something wrong, to break something, where do you look for documentation,
> what is the logical way for you to do things?

Perhaps I oversimplified my position.  I'm a programmer, and have been using
computers since I was about 10 or so.. started on a Commodore 64 (yes, I'm a
young'un).  With that... My husband installed linux.  I wanted to use it.
People start talking about use this command, or that command.  I'm looking
at a GUI.  I couldn't find a command prompt, and had no idea what any of the
stuff in my menu was for.  Rather than get off the machine and go back to my
nice little Windows box, I asked what something was, and ended up getting
Linux101.  I learned more in a few hours of "doing" than I could have
learned in months of deciphering poorly written tech manuals.  I write many
of my own manuals, and I understand the logic of them... they're written
from the perspective of someone who knows what they're doing.  For a newbie,
diving into one of these is like jumping off the high dive before you learn
to swim.

I'm not suggesting that we hold everyone's hand through every little step,
but sometimes we need our hand held until we're comfortable in the
environment.  Who knows how long it would have been before I found xterm.
Since my beginner session, I've written my firewall, with a few pointers
here and there, and set up my web and ftp servers.  I still can't install
linux on this laptop...  Showing someone how to install one file or start
one program isn't keeping them from learning, it's explaining a very basic
concept.  A reasonably intelligent person can extrapolate this knowledge.

When you ask for help, you get bombarded with read this book, or that one;
try this command or that one; read this man page or refer to this RFC.  From
a newbie perspective, which of these books shows me how to accomplish this
little task?  Where do I type that command?  What are man pages and RFC's?
Once I get comfortable in a new environment and can understand basic tasks
(such as creating a user so as not to IRC from root....another biggie from
that first session), I am not afraid to explore things in depth and get
familiar with what's there (that's how I got started on my firewall).  When
I get stuck, there is plenty of documentation to bail me out.  But this is
after I understand basic terminology, where files are stored, how to
restrict my permissions so as not to mess up big, and where to find this
basic help.  This is not Windows, and although it's become much easier to
install, and the graphical environments are getting more friendly, we've
still got to be willing to do a little hand holding if we want Joe Average
to get in on this.

I teach people to use Windows on a regular basis.  Many times I am astounded
at the questions I get, such as how to use a mouse, or shortcut keys, or the
difference between right clicking, left clicking, double, or single
clicking.  While it's usually a more advanced computer user that moves to
Linux, we still have to be prepared for the easy questions.  If a person
uncomfortable with Windows needs one on one instruction, why isn't it
reasonable to expect the same from a person struggling with Linux?  I
learned to code by someone showing me the basics (in BASIC <chuckle>), and
then I was able to relate to those concepts when learning C - from both
books and help of friends (and so on through C++, Java, etc.).  I learned
DOS by someone showing me how to find and start a program, then using those
new concepts to understand what the book was saying about more difficult
tasks.  Having taught many people in this manner, I know my learning style
is not unique.

A few analogies:  My daughter is in kindergarten, and is learning to write.
The teacher didn't point to the letters and tell them to write them; she
held their hand  to help trace the dotted letters, until they knew what was
expected of them.  Then she was able to tell them how to put the letters
together to make their name and other words.  She's not still holding their
hand to write every new word.  We can put out all the charts/manuals/tech
pages/how-to's and any other form of support until we've filled every server
on the planet... Sometimes, there's just no substitute for some good
old-fashioned hand holding.

I've been the first on my block with a lot of new toys, and I've had to
struggle with the manual until I figured it out.  I've also broken a lot of
new toys this way.  When a friend gets the same toy, I take a minute to show
them what I spent days learning, and then we can play together.  Now I'm the
one looking for someone to show me what the buttons do so we can play.  And
hopefully, I'll figure out how they did that neat trick, and I'll one up
them with a new trick of my own.  But for now... show me where the power is
please?

JMHO, Hope you're still awake!

Jesika