[Techtalk] New to the list...new to linux

Sunnanvind Briling Fenderson sunnanvind at fenderson.com
Sun Sep 30 11:42:22 EST 2001

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 12:45:59AM -0500, Tianna Thomas wrote:
> Is there a way to set the permissions for the entire contents of a directory
> in one place?

It's chmod -R modes path.

Like, to make all my m3us world readable, I might try

chmod -R +w /home/sunnanvind/m3udir/

If you want to change the ownership of the files, here's how:

chown -R newowner path

R is short for recursive.

Basically, what I recommend you to do is (but only since you're under
time pressure): describe the task in more detail, more overview, and
someone on the list might tell you what to do in this particular case.

Then, when things calm down, read a book. I recommend
http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/ but there are several good ones.