[Techtalk] New to the list...new to linux

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sat Sep 29 17:40:56 EST 2001

At 9/29/01 05:24 PM , Tianna Thomas wrote:
>Do I need the /'s ?
>
>Me=clueless
>
>Tianna

But only if the directory has no subdirectories. And this will also change
the ownership on the files, which may be a problem. Two solutions that will
give better results, assuming you want to move /foo/bar/movethis to
/baz/quux/target:

1) cp -a /foo/bar/movethis /baz/quux/target

2) mv /foo/bar/movethis /baz/quux/target

Which one do you want? Depends whether you want to copy, or move. But
either of these commands will transfer subdirectories and keep ownerships
intact.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Why can't I live a life for me?
  Why should I take the abuse that's served?
  Why can't they see they're just like me?
  I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
                                                 --Ministry,
                                                  "Every Day is
                                                   Halloween"