[Techtalk] What is "The Best NIC for Linux"?

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 27 08:27:46 EST 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 11:00:28AM -0700, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> I've had problems with the on-board eepro100 adapters that came with
> some Intel Desktop Boards (D815 series).  I've had packet loss on some,
> specifically found when troubleshooting NFS/NIS issues, but seen in
> basic ping tests.  In every instance, dropping the eepro100 support and
> putting in a 3Com 3C905Cx (3c59x driver) seemed to fix the problem.
> Since then I've been shying away from the eepros.  Has anyone had
> similar experiences?  I do remember having found other people in
> newsgroups who had problems with them, though I can't recall specific
> examples.   Is it perhaps a problem only with the on-board versions,
> though to be honest I can't think of why that should have an effect.
>
> Just wondering.  And cast my vote into the 3Com camp; I've never had a
> problem with any of their stuff.

3Com is my second choice; our workstations (around 250 of them) are a mixture
of 3Com 3c509 and Intel EEPro100's, all of which have been reliable. On the
servers though, I've had several problems with 3Com cards and none at all with
the Intels. All the workstations we buy now have the Intel cards, largely
because they have PXE support standard and we need that.

YMMV. :-)

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679      Room: 2.315, School of Engineering
Email: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz  or shout loudly