[Techtalk] What is "The Best NIC for Linux"?

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 26 11:00:28 EST 2001

Question for you eepro folk-

I've had problems with the on-board eepro100 adapters that came with
some Intel Desktop Boards (D815 series).  I've had packet loss on some,
specifically found when troubleshooting NFS/NIS issues, but seen in
basic ping tests.  In every instance, dropping the eepro100 support and
putting in a 3Com 3C905Cx (3c59x driver) seemed to fix the problem.
Since then I've been shying away from the eepros.  Has anyone had
similar experiences?  I do remember having found other people in
newsgroups who had problems with them, though I can't recall specific
examples.   Is it perhaps a problem only with the on-board versions,
though to be honest I can't think of why that should have an effect.

Just wondering.  And cast my vote into the 3Com camp; I've never had a
problem with any of their stuff.

-Brian