[Techtalk] Security Issue:disallowing external access to X windows

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 01:51:26 EST 2001

Jeff Dike wrote:

> jockgrrl at austin.rr.com said:
> > ... unless the person knows how to use the "ftp" or "cp" commands. In
> > which case they just bring their own binaries with them.
>
> Yeah, good point.
>
> > My ipchains rule firewalls ports 6000 thru some other number (which is
> > bigger than need be) on my external, cable-modem connected, interface.
>
> Are they firewalling local access to ports 6000 and up?  Because an ssh tunnel
> accesses them locally, and pipes them across to port 22 on the remote system.

I firewall sshd ;-)  And there is no "they", it's "me", thus "my
ipchains rule".

I assumed the original poster was asking how she could keep someone
outside her machine from attaching to her X server.  I may have
been wrong ...
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.