[Techtalk] DNS horror story. Beware the dynamic IP!

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun Sep 9 10:05:19 EST 2001

Carla Schroder wrote:

> The damn thing overwrote the network settings not only the workstation I was
> on, but completely hosed all the network settings on the SERVER! Erased my
> DHCP address pools, wrote new configurations on the NIC, and did something
> really weird to my DNS server that I never figured out.

Aie-aie-aie!!!

> Now where in the HELL does this dumb little ISP account get such power? Ole
> Windoze just opened the door wide and accepted all the changes without
> saying a word. I spent the best part of today re-doing everything.
>
> Could this happen on a Linux box? Has anyone else ever fallen into this
> particular pit?

-Theoretically-, if authentications and permissions are sufficiently
screwed up, it's potentially possible. IF the server is insecure. (hrm,
sounds like pop psychology. Yes, server, we'll love you if you accept
these settings... )

I can't think of a way a secured server would have that sort of settings
changed from a workstation-that-doesn't-have-root-access. Doesn't mean
there isn't one, of course!

> I tell ya, learning from other people's pain is ever so much better.

In-very-deed.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/