[Techtalk] Multiple NICs, Bad IRQs?

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 8 09:43:02 EST 2001

Greets,

I have two NICs -- Netgear FA311s -- in my server/gateway machine
and the first NIC, eth0, has horrid performance.  I've swapped
everything I can imagine swapping.  Last night I even rewired the
connection from the server to my Ethernet switch.  The highest
perfomance I get is 300KB/s.  Every other machine in the house
can talk to every other machine at 4MB/s or more.

The only thing I can see is that eth0 has an IRQ of 5, which is
lower priority than almost everything else.  ifconfig eth0
reports thousands of framing errors -- if I switch cables, ports
on the switch, cards, etc -- I see the same thing.

The other NIC is connected to a cable modem.  It has no errors
and works like a dream.

I hate to think this is all being caused by the wrong IRQ because
I don't know how to change the IRQ on these NICs.  They have no
jumpers and the BIOS is setting the IRQ for me.

HELP!
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.