[Techtalk] Active vs Passive Routing

Subba Rao subba9 at home.com
Sun Sep 2 15:43:30 EST 2001

I am trying to setup an ipsec network connection with a remote network. For
that I have to setup the gateway information in /etc/gateways. The routed
man page gives the following syntax for the page.

 <net | host> name1 gateway name2 metric value <passive | active | external
      | announced>

What is the difference between an active gateway and a passive gateway? What
type of gateway is preffered for ipsec setup?

Thanks for any info.
--

Subba Rao
subba9 at home.com
http://members.home.net/subba9/

GPG public key ID CCB7344E
Key fingerprint = A8DD 4CBA 1E9B D962 A55B  2B55 BAFE 92C5 CCB7 344E