[Techtalk] Re: Buying a Machine Without Windows? Build it!

Jesika tx-kewtie at satx.rr.com
Tue Oct 30 23:20:59 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <wny-tc at juno.com>

> Seriously, if you can change the batteries in your smoke alarm, the light
> bulb in your
> refrigerator or a taillight in you car, you have the prerequisite
> mechanical skills needed
> to assemble your next computer.

I agree wholeheartedly!  I'm not always the quickest learner, especially
with tech stuff, but I've now built 3 of my own computers and can usually
maintain them on my own.  Originally, I went with my husband to a computer
show to check out software while he looked for a video card.  I had no idea
what the difference was between PC100 and PC133 memory was.  I didn't have a
clue that CD-ROMs and hard drives came in different speeds.  I was quite
illiterate.
After attending the shows with him for about 6 months, I walked in, bought a
motherboard with processor, fan, and extra cache, bought my memory, bought
my drives, bought my sound and video cards, bought my case... you get the
idea.  I came home, sat down with hubby's toolkit, and started putting it
all together.  I had to ask him where a few things went, and I was a little
uncomfortable with the force required to put a few cards in, but overall, it
was MUCH easier than I ever could have imagined!

Jesika